What to do when Motivation Fades:

Inevitably, your motivation to do something will soon disappear. What happens when the motivation wears off? I don't claim to have all the answers, but when I lose I try to remind myself.


Your brain is an advisory engine

Contemplate this notion as you interact with others. Right now, as I write this, my brain is suggesting I'm tired. It suggests that I give up. This suggests that I take the easy way out.

If I pause for a moment, however, I can find new suggestions. My mind is also suggesting that once I have completed this work, I would love to complete it. It suggests that I respect my identity as long as I stick to my schedule. It suggests that I have the ability to finish this job, even when I don't feel like it.

Remember, none of these suggestions are orders. They are just options. I have the choice of which option to choose.

The discomfort is temporary

When compared to your usual day or week time, any of your habits disappear quickly. Your workout will be over in an hour or two. Your report will be typed by tomorrow morning.

Life is much easier now. 300 years ago, if you didn't kill your own food and build your own house, you would die. Today, we talk about forgetting our iPhone charger.

Maintain perspective. Your life is good and your suffering is temporary. Step into this moment of pain and it will strengthen you.

Once done, you will never regret doing good work

Theodore Roosevelt famously said, "The best reward life has to offer is the opportunity to work hard to be able to work." So it often seems like we want to get things done easily. We want our work to be helpful and respectable, but we do not want to struggle through our work. We want our stomachs to be flat and our arms to be strong, but we don't want to grind through any other exercise. We want the end result, but not the failed efforts that preceded it. We should sleep, but not grind.

Such is life

Life is a constant balance between relieving distress or overcoming the pain of discipline. It is no exaggeration to say that our lives and our identities are described in this delicate balance. What is life, if one hundred thousand battles and small decisions a day end or leave it? 

The moment when you don't like to work? This is not a moment, it will be thrown away. This is not a dress code. This moment is like any other moment in your life. Spend in a way that makes you proud.



Where to go from here

I hope you find this short guide to encouragement useful. If you're looking for more ideas on how to inspire and stay that way, check out my full list of motivational articles below...


Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post